Saturday, 2 July 2011

How do you do it?

Those of you who blog every day, or even once or twice a week, how do you manage it? I keep intending to blog more often. Of course, it doesn't help that I've not been making much since I started freelancing as I've been so busy with work - I've been out of the house for more and longer (with travel) days than previously when I was working from home a couple of days a week. This in turn has led to me being too tired to do anything other than sit in front of a computer/TV in the evenings. I've not knitted at all this week - that is shocking for me! But plenty of blogs that I read are written by people who are just as busy, or busier, and some have children thrown into the mix as well. So how do you find the time?

Secondly, how do you find things to blog about? I can't help thinking that my life is mundane, I don't do anything interesting to write about and people are just going to be bored. Having said that, if I don't mind inflicting details of my life on people on twitter, why worry about it here! I think I am going to take on board what london bakes wrote yesterday and blog for myself. Maybe it will bore everyone, maybe not. Maybe I will lose all of my followers, maybe not.

Finally, how do you all take such good photos? Is there a secret to photo-taking that I need to learn? Other than practice, of course!

I want to make good use of my blog. I'm hoping I can work out how.

8 comments:

  1. Ha Liz, I blog about our boring lives too, but am totally thrilled that people read any post of mine. :) I would read about your days! ;) hope you are at least having fun working more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (1) About why blog, I say, blog for yourself. That's what I'm doing. If it is of interest to others, that's a terrific bonus. If not, that's OK too. I don't feel like my life is wildly fascinating and I freely admit I am not at all a skilled crafter/sewist, just someone who likes to try things out and play. So I'm doing this for me and it makes me happy. I think that's enough. (2) About photos, honestly, I take most of them with my iPhone 3G. It is often better than my heavy old (2008) digital camera and it's certainly always in my pocket. And there are tons of free apps for photo editing (if you have a smartphone) and a number of free websites with good editing features. (3) About time, I don't sleep that much. Six hours max? Terrible for me and for my health, but late in the evenings is my only "me" time. I also do things in bits, squeezed in here and there. It all works out somehow. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I blog when I have something I want to share, and not always then as sometimes there isn't time or too much for one post or I procrastinate and forget. I keep my blog specifically for creative stuff not too much personal, but that is my own choice.
    Time....well I have more than you, but I make time to blog as part of my making time to be creative time. If I want to share a project then in the time I set aside for it, I also set aside the time to blog it. I also find that I want to different things at different times, so one day I want to get messy with paint, another I want to do housework or read, another I want to blog. Oh, and I don't do enough housework.

    As for photos...well I post enough bad photos of my work...but I think the trick must lay in finding the right place and time of day to take them. Know which bit of the house gives you the best background and light for your work. Only I am too lazy and too impetuous to do that. As for photographs of other things, practise, practise and I've really learned a lot on the course I've been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of my favourite blogs are the ones that just blog about "mundane" everyday life....

    S x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's really important to blog for yourself (obviously!) because the only way I'll keep doing it is if I actually enjoy it.

    In terms of photos, I have a fairly cheap SLR camera but half of my pictures are also taken with my iphone and then I use one of the apps to make them look 'pretty' and put filters on them. That hides a multitude of sins! The other trick is to try not to use flash and take pictures in natural light but I freely admit that my photos can be pretty awful and I find it quite hard to take nice shots. For food, I look at sites like www.tastespotting.com or www.foodgawker.com which just have lots of pictures that people have taken of their food and it helps me to learn what looks good and what doesn't and how to style my shots.

    Thanks for the link to my post BTW and I hope it does inspire you to post more because I love reading your blog when you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the others have given you some great advice so I won't repeat what has already been said.
    I will add though - if it's important to you to update regularly, try scheduling the time like you would any other work.
    If you're struggling to think of things to write you could try a scheduled topic - like on Tuesday's I'll write about food and whatever comes to you on Tuesday that is food related gets posted. I've been trying this technique (loosely) lately and I've found it helps tremendously.
    In addition, I often get waves of inspiration (or blocks of time in order to write). To avoid flooding people's feeds, I write up the posts and then schedule them for later dates.
    I haven't been blogging for long so I'm not terribly credentialed so take this all with a grain of salt.
    Lizz

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't blog every day. It isn't that I couldn't come up with something to write about--I certainly have enough projects going on. (Hey, thanks for the sweet comment about my snowflake afghan!) I like what Mommy en France says: blog for yourself. Part of the reason I have 1000 points of creativity is that is keeps me on track as far as the 13,990 projects I have going on. It might make me finish them.
    To be honest, I don't blog every day mostly because I forget I HAVE a blog, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. honestly, I came here coz we have the same name. :) but i blog like every other day and i do that only coz i am absolutely jobless. when your mind is free, things really do come up. and a lot might be boring but some things are interesting. And theer are always food posts that you can do or even movies. But I really have to say this... Just write.... Words do flow sometimes from the most mundane tidbit....

    ReplyDelete