This morning I went to the official opening of the new quilting shop in Burford. I was even brave and chatted to people. There are some beautiful quilts there - and some lovely fabrics, but I limited myself to just a couple of fat quarters. Inspired by that, I've been working on my patchwork this afternoon.
This is my first patchwork project, and I started it nearly a year ago, knowing practically nothing about how patchwork and quilting should be done. I have an old sleeping bag, bought for me about 30 years ago, that we use to snuggle under on the sofa in the winter, and it's starting to get a bit worse for wear.
Rather than chucking it out and getting a new one, I decided to make a new cover for it. I decided a long time before I started it that it should be hexagons, so that's what I'm doing. The back I originally thought of doing small squares, but I've since decided that that will take me forever to complete (based on the rate the front is going), so I'm going to use large squares for the back.
When I started, I don't think I'd heard of fat quarters, but since then, I've read a book on quilting my friend gave me - and discovered I'm probably not doing anything properly, but I have several future projects lined up in my mind (thanks to that book), and will make sure I learn the right techniques for those.
Here's my efforts so far. No two hexagons are the same and I'm hoping to keep that up.
It's had a few more hexagons added this afternoon, and I'm hoping to go to my first quilt night on Thursday and get some more done at that. I am switching to knitting this evening though, because I can do that while I watch Strictly Come Dancing.


Beautiful! LOVE the bright jewel-like colours
ReplyDeleteOooh. Love those hexagons and all the fun fabric. Hexagons are totally beyond me. :)
ReplyDelete