Sunday, 1 January 2012

Happy New Year!

I have tried in the past to not make New Year resolutions, but it doesn't seem to work. My brain seems to make them anyway even if I say I'm not doing it. So if I'm going to have resolutions and try to do things, I want them to be worthwhile. Naturally, there are a zillion and one things I want to do and include in them.
I have had a few ideas floating around in my head for a while now. One is to phone my parents more often – I am guilty of taking my parents for granted and assuming they will always be there. But that is not the case, and I don't want a day to come when I regret that I didn't speak to them often enough. Another is to write more letters/cards/notes to friends – texts, facebook and twitter are all very well for keeping in touch, but most people I know still love to get 'proper' post.

Then there are things to do with buying and living ethically, being less wasteful, making good use of what I have and being responsible with my finances. Maybe this year will be the year I actually get around to planting and growing some vegetables in my garden.

You may also remember, that I talked a while back about learning new, or developing existing craft skills and I'd like to incorporate that somehow.

Finally, there are things to do with taking better care of myself – not letting myself get too tired out, making sure I'm eating a healthy diet and, if possible, getting some exercise, giving myself occasional treats, and things to do with making our home a nicer place to live – less cluttered, cleaner and tidier.

So rather than make a zillion and one specific resolutions, it occurred to me last week that they could all be encompassed by one thing. And so my resolution for 2012 is summed up in two words:


Live lovingly


This gives me the freedom to do those things I've listed, but without setting myself goals for the year that at some point I will not meet and therefore 'fail'. I'm sure there are times when it's going to be a pretty hard resolution to keep, and I don't for one moment suppose I shall manage to keep it for every hour of every day, but that is my aim for the year. To love what I do, to put love into the things I do for others, and to love and care for myself and my home.

Happy New Year! May 2012 be filled with splendid things and bring you all joy and peace.

4 comments:

  1. What a lovely post Liz, really made me smile x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very bad at living lovingly, although my religion tells me to do the same thing rather more wordily. I am rooting for you to do much better at it than I do (well, you already do, but you know what I mean!) Oh waffle, I'll shut up now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An excellent and thoughtful idea. Go for it, you already are in so many ways so it should be a natural progression.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your resolution is inspiring. So well put and so appropriate for life as a whole, and for all of us.

    ReplyDelete