Friday, 30 November 2012

Christmas is coming!


Fifteen things I love Christmas and the build up to it.

1.         Finding presents that are just right for a particular person (at least, I think they are – I hope the recipients do too).

2.         Decorating the Christmas tree. Let’s face it, it’s an excuse for loads of shiny sparkly things. Some of which are purple.

3.         Making presents. This starts a lot earlier in the year than now. I had an idea earlier this year that I would have finished all the knitted presents by the end of November. That’s today. I am just about to cast on a hoodie (which may be downgraded to a jumper if I run out of time), so that idea didn’t quite pan out.

4.         Baking presents – or preserving, whatever-you-call-the-fudge-making-process-ing, and other methods of making edible stuff that can be given as gifts. I’ve not done much in the way of jam and chutney making this year, for various reasons, so am not going to give as many foodie gifts this year as I have some other years.

5.         Spending time with my families – my family I grew up in and my in-laws. Each family is different in Christmas traditions, size (and volume!), and atmosphere but I am hoping to spend time with both on Christmas Day this year and looking forward to seeing everyone.

6.         Christmas carols and other Christmas music. When I was at school I was in the choir and we would start practising carols for the Christmas 9 lessons and carols service when we got back after half-term. Now I don’t get to sing them for as long a period. All these years later and I still find myself singing the harmonies instead of the tune for some Carols. I am looking forward to the start of Christmas music on Classic FM (the radio station I usually listen to) tomorrow.

7.         Advent calendars. When I was a child, we had a cardboard advent calendar with pictures behind doors, and each of us would take it in turn to open a door – being careful not to tear it so that it could be put away and used again the next year. I was well into my adult life before I discovered chocolate advent calendars. This year I am having a tiny chocolate calendar (30 g chocolate in total) and have an advent candle to burn.

8.         Wrapping presents – they look so pretty. I am not the best wrapper, some of my parcels look a bit scruffy, but maybe one day I will get the hang of beautiful wrapping.

9.         Unwrapping presents – it’s lovely to receive gifts as well as to give them J

10.     Time off work – I’m looking forward to the break from the office for a few days. Unlike taking other holidays, things tend not to pile up over Christmas because most people we do business with are also on holiday.

11.     The Nativity – as a Christian this is a big part of the Christmas celebrations for me.

12.     Christmas lights – everywhere you go there are places lit up – coloured lights, twinkling lights, flashing lights – with various decorations. Some people’s taste might not be the same as mine, and some people must get electricity bills I wouldn’t want to get, but the overall effect is pretty and cheerful.

13.     Christmas books and films. But it is the ideal time of year to enjoy a spot of murder with Hercule Poirot’s Christmas, cry over It’s a Wonderful Life, enjoy the genius of Love Actually and revisit childhood with The Box of Delights (I have other favourites as well and I’m sure you have yours).

14.     Hearing/reading how other people celebrate Christmas and what their favourite things about it are.

15.     Excitement, fun, love, laughter, togetherness.
What do you love about Christmas?

2 comments:

  1. This has made me all excited for Christmas - we've been saving watching Hercule Poirot's Christmas but I'm not sure how much longer I can hold out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you watch it now, there's still time to watch it again before Christmas!

    ReplyDelete